Mortgage interest and rent claims will be capped at £1,250 pm under interim reforms to MPs' expenses.
All parties had agreed on an immediate ban on second homes claims for furniture, cleaning and stamp duty. MPs will not be allowed to "flip" the designation of their second home during 2009/10.
All parties were now committed to accepting the recommendations from Sir Christopher Kelly's Committee on Standards in Public Life, provided they met certain tests.
Other measures announced included:
- MPs who are couples will be obliged to nominate the same main home and will only be able to claim one person's accommodation allowance between them
- All claims will be published quarterly online
- Members will have to be "completely open" with the tax authorities about whether properties are second homes and liable to capital gains tax
- Mortgage claims must be accurate, for interest only and on continuing loans
- A clear test of "reasonableness" will be applied to all claims by the Department of Resources in an effort to "tighten up" allowances
- Claims which are the subject of any doubts will be refused with no opportunity of appeal.